Monday, November 24, 2014

Lights of the World (Matthew 5:16)

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."

-Matthew 5:16

People judge other people. That's just the way we are naturally in our sinful nature. We are prone to make split-second judgments based on what people look like, what they are wearing, or who they hang out with, often putting people into stereotypical categories after we observe them for about fifteen seconds.

So, how do you come across to other people? 
Do you seem like another typical teen giggling with their friends or constantly on your phone, nothing special, nothing that will get a second glance? Many people would feel that this is a successful image. But that is not the mindset you should have!

When people look at you, you want there to be something different, something that will make them take a second glance. You want to live in a way that honors God all the time. Your faith should be written on your face as you go about your daily life.

For example, I tend to have a reputation among my friends and teachers at school for being someone who is good at everything, works hard, and gets good grades. Why? I believe firmly in Colossians 3:23, which says "Whatever you do, work heartily, as to the Lord and not to men". I work hard and try to do my best in everything.

And people notice, whether you think they do or not. You don't know who may be looking at the moment, who may influenced by your good works. The other day I saw a boy from my school  giving a bag of groceries to a homeless man standing with his family in a parking lot. I had seen this boy at school every day and never really given him a second thought until I saw this. He probably didn't know that I noticed; I was in a car at the time. But I did, and who knows who else was watching and how that may have impacted their life?

You can't know if someone is watching, so always act like they are! You can never know how your actions will witness to someone else!

What do you think? Do you like this verse? What are some of your favorite verses you would like to see featured here?

No comments:

Post a Comment