Tuesday, May 26, 2015

"I'm Not a Handicap."

"I'm not handicapped. I don't need you to push the button for me."

Those were the words I overheard as I packed up my backpack after school. And they got me thinking. Because those words basically translate to, "If I can do something myself, I don't want help with it."

That mindset is stopping any desire to serve others in its tracks. And that isn't a good thing.

Called to Serve
As Christians, we are called to serve others. Jesus showed this clearly when he talked about the two greatest commandments: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind...You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:37-39, boldface added).

God clearly doesn't appreciate selfishness; he wants us to show love and kindness through serving others around us. This can take many different forms; the important thing is that we as Christians are striving to serve the people around us in any way that helps them.

"I Don't Need Help."
But sometimes, our efforts to be of service to others are met with the words, "That's okay. I can do it myself." People feel that we are implying that they are weak or incompetent if we offer to do something for them.

This is not true! Offering to do an act of service to someone else is not implying that they can't do it themselves. It's simply saying, "I care about you, and I want to show you that by doing this for you."

I think this mindset is a huge factor in the death of such values as chivalry, selflessness, and consideration for others. Because when you try to do something nice for someone and they respond with, "Thanks, but no thanks," that doesn't exactly inspire you to keep trying, does it?

Our Double Responsibility
So, as Christians, we have two responsibilities:

1) to actively look for ways to serve those around us, and

2) to accept the service of others when they try to do something for us.

We have to be willing to let others help us if they offer! Don't discourage their efforts by responding with, "Thanks, but I can do it."

So remember that just as you are called to serve others, you are called to let others serve you. Don't jump to conclusions about their motivations, assuming that they don't think you are capable of doing it, but rather assume that they simply want to show you that they care through their actions.

What do you think?
  • Have you had an experience where someone didn't accept your act of service? How did it make you feel?
  • How do you respond when people try to serve you in some way?
  • How can you do better, both looking to serve others and allowing others to serve you?

No comments:

Post a Comment