Tuesday, January 13, 2015

100 Ways: Bible and Belief

I mentioned last week that I would be beginning a series titled 100 Ways to Live for God. Well, according to promise, here is the first installment in what will probably be a very long series.

The idea here is that I give you two or three things at a time so that you can focus on those things in the week until I post another part to the list. That way you aren't overwhelmed with 100 things at once, because that would be a bit much.

So, here are items 1 and 2.

1. Read your Bible every day. 
If I haven't already made this point enough, reading your Bible consistently is one of the best things you can do to deepen your faith and improve your life. That's why it made the top of this list. If you get nothing else from the list, at least begin doing this.

Some tips for you:

  • If you can't bring yourself to get up in time to do devotions in the morning, try starting your day by listening to worship music for five or ten minutes.  When your alarm goes off, you think, Laying in bed and listening to music won't be so bad.  The music keeps you from falling back asleep, and you get some extra time to cuddle in your blankets. Usually by the second or third song, you are ready to begin the day. It's a win-win. 
  • Find a devotional book that you really enjoy. If you know exactly what you will be reading during your devotional time, you're more likely to actually do it, and if you have a book you enjoy, you will look forward to it more. For girls, the book I'm using right now is Devotions for the God Girl by Hayley DiMarco, which I reviewed on Friday. 
  • For more tips, check out my post on Bible reading, here. Also check out my Bible study series for ideas on where to read.

2. If you catch yourself thinking "I'm just a teenager", "I should have fun now while I'm young and work later", or anything else along those lines, stop immediately!

This goes back to my first post on 1 Timothy 4:12. You are not "just a teenager". You are capable of great things, and if you think these thoughts you only handicap yourself! Post a sticky note to your mirror with 1 Timothy 4:12 on it. Write "you can do amazing things" on a notecard and tape it inside your binder. Do whatever it takes to remind yourself that being a teenager doesn't mean that you can't make a difference. Believe in yourself!

What do you think? Do you like these tips? Do you plan to try them in the week to come? Let me know in the comments below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment