Monday, October 13, 2014

Ask in Prayer (Matthew 21:22)

Recently I got a request asking if I could do a Bible study on Matthew 21:22 because they were having trouble understanding it. I looked it up and I could see why it would be difficult!

This verse says,
"And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith."

At first glance, this seems strange. We all know that God doesn't give us everything we ask for.

But what does the word faith mean? Faith is complete trust or belief in something or someone. If we have faith in God, it means we trust fully in him to know what we need and do everything in our best interest.

One of my favorite authors, Jan Karon, in her Mitford series, has the main character (an older pastor) refer to the "prayer that never fails", or "thy will be done". I think this is a wonderful way to think about it. When we have true faith, our prayer will always be, "Thy will be done". When we pray this prayer, we will receive what we ask, when we ask for God to give us what we truly need.

I'm not saying that it's bad to pray for specific things. I'm only saying that the prayer of faith is the prayer that will give us everything we need.

What do you think?
  • Do you agree with my interpretation of this passage?
  • Do you have other opinions or help to offer our friend on what this means?

2 comments:

  1. Good thinking! Thanks for the help! I was doing some research myself and I also believe that when it says, "If you have faith you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer..." It's saying that we as humans don't have the ability to have that type of faith. A faith where we can just be like, "I believe this will happen!" Only God has that type of faith:) Let me know what you think! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point! We are definitely incapable of fully believing without still having some doubts in the back of our mind. I'm glad I could help!

      Delete