Monday, October 20, 2014

The Peace of God (Philippians 4:6-7)

Another one of my favorite verses is Philippians 4:6-7. This verse says, in the ESV translation,

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made know to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

I have always been a worrier. I worry about the smallest, most insignificant, and most unlikely things. I always have to remind myself of this verse when I notice myself starting to think worrying thoughts.

The verse is quite clear: We are not to be anxious about anything. We are to place everything, even the big things that matter, into God's hands through prayer.

What strikes me is the way the word thanksgiving is used in this verse. Rather than worrying, we are to give thanks for all things, all the time. I think if we begin to try to practice thanksgiving every day, we will really see a turnaround in the way we think about things, and begin to worry less.

And if we do this, what will happen?
We will receive the peace of God. If you think about, this makes total sense. If you stop worrying and let it rest in God's hands, you will have peace. Worrying is, essentially, the opposite of peace. If we let go of our anxiety and simply rest and trust in God, His peace will come to us.

That's true faith.

Next Steps: Begin to focus on thankful thoughts rather than anxious thoughts. If you find yourself worrying, say a short prayer about whatever it is you're worrying about and then simply let it go.

What do you think? Is this something you struggle with? Do you find this verse helpful? What are some of your favorite verses I could discuss in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment