Friday, October 31, 2014

What to Read This November

Happy Reformation Day!

Since it's the last day of October, I thought I would share some book recommendations for the month of November, in case you are looking for a good book.

November Featured Read

The best book I can recommend to you for November, as we approach the Thanksgiving season, is One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I would highly recommend this to all of you as an inspiring book worth reading. I wrote a more detailed review of this book last week; you can access it here. 

Other Recommendations

If you like science fiction:
  • Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is a compelling story set in a time where books are banned, and firemen have the job of burning them. It tells the story of a fireman who meets a teenage girl whose questions prompt him to think deeper about the job he does. Definitely recommended! (And definitely scary to think about for a bookworm like me!)
If you like fantasy:
  • Beauty by Robin McKinley is a very well-done retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Robin McKinley's book are typically very clean as well as being well-written. 
If you like romance:
  • My Heart Remembers by Kim Vogel Sawyer and its sequel, In Every Heartbeat; Kim Vogel Sawyer is a very good Christian writer who manages to include a Christian message in her books without making them overly 'preachy'. All of her books draw you in from beginning to end, and you won't be able to put them down!
If you like mysteries:
  • The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin is a fast-paced, interestingly told mystery. It features a dead millionaire who has left a puzzling will, and a lovable cast of unique, eccentric characters trying to figure out who will get his money. This is another book you won't be able to put down!
If you like classics:
  • Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott is a not-so-well-known book by this well-known author. One of my favorite books, it tells the story of Rose, an orphaned girl who comes to live among her many aunts and boy cousins. It's so good and something you should definitely read if you enjoy classics!
If you like contemporary fiction:
  • The Penderwicks and sequels by Jeanne Birdsall is a very good series about the everyday adventures of four sisters, their Latin-speaking father, and a dog. There will be two more books in the series published eventually. This is another of my favorites!
If you like biographies:
  • Dancing Through It is a very good memoir written by Jenifer Ringer, a member of the New York City ballet. She is a Christian and writes in a very fluent way, taking you into her struggles with eating disorders and her comeback into the world of ballet. Very highly recommended even if you don't usually read this sort of book!

What do you think? Have you read these books? Do you have any other recommendations for fellow Christian teens?



2 comments:

  1. Hey! I love One Thousand Gifts! I also am a huge fan of Robin McKinley. Teen books...hmm...Melody Carlson. For sure.

    Would you consider reviewing my novel, Sunrise, when it is published? I will let you know details when it is available on Amazon. ;)

    Aliyah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Thousand Gifts is so inspiring, I know!
      I'm always looking for new recommendations, so I will check out Melody Carlson. And I would love to review your novel, so keep me updated!

      Delete