Friday, June 19, 2015

6 Summer Goals to Inspire You

It isn't actually that satisfying to sit around watching TV over the summer. But often, people just have trouble coming up with things to do.

I've been thinking for weeks about the things I want to accomplish this summer. Trust me, it's a huge list. But today I wanted to just share a few of my major goals for the summer.

Summer is almost like a long Sabbath: a break from the main work God has given us so that we can accomplish things in other areas and rest in Him.

If you think of it this way, it gets rid of the mentality that summer is for TV and surfing the Web. This is time that God has given us; how will you use it?

Here are some of my goals for this summer:

I want to read my Bible for at least 15 minutes every day.
This is something that I used to be really good about...but unfortunately I've lost the habit and need to get it back.

I want to learn to cook gluten and dairy-free foods.
I went gluten-and-dairy free for a month this spring and it made me feel so much healthier! I want to try it again this summer and try to recreate (from a recipe) staple foods like yogurt and bread without gluten or dairy in them.

I want to finish the second draft of a novel manuscript I've been working on.
This is a novel that's been in progress since November...if I can finish this draft over the summer, then I can start to do some intensive editing.

I want to get my clutter cleaned up and in order.
If you came through my room these days, it would look like a tornado went through it. There's stuff everywhere, and it's driving me crazy. This summer I want to commit some time to getting rid of junk and reorganizing my stuff.

I want to practice piano for at least half an hour every day.
Because I don't practice nearly enough during the school year.

I want to do my assigned chores around the house consistently and cheerfully.
I have chores this summer that I haven't been responsible for during the school year, so I want to make them a habit and do them consistently without being reminded. That's definitely something I struggle with.

There are more, but those are just a few things that I want to accomplish this summer. I'll update you on how it went in the fall!

Homework Assignment: If you don't already have a plan for how to spend your summer, make one! What can you do to make these months off from school worthwhile? How can you serve others this summer?

I want to hear from you! Tell me about your summer plans and goals in a comment. How are you going to keep from spending the whole summer with electronics?

Further Reading: Five Simple Ways to Make Your Summer Count

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! A few of my goals would be to hang out with friends , go to the pool more often, and be able to reach out to others that need help, such as the elderly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer is definitely a time that we should use to help those in need and serve others. Good for you for making that part of your summer plan!

      Delete