Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Modesty Does Not Equal Shame (the dress code controversy, part 1)

Today a school newspaper came out. I enjoy reading these, shaking my head at the silly topics of some of the articles, agreeing with others, and sometimes disagreeing, so I always get one.

As I was reading, something on the third page caught my eye. It was a sidebar with the title: "Students React to the Dress Code".

If you go to public school, maybe this has been controversial at your school as well. I don't know. But at my school, threats to start enforcing the dress code have become a regular topic of conversation among students.

Most people disagree with the dress code, saying that girls should be able to dress how they want. One quote in particular caught my eye in the newspaper. It said, "I find it appalling how men and women are held to different standards and how women are supposed to be ashamed of their bodies."

We're supposed to be ashamed of our bodies? According to who?

I don't dress modestly because I'm ashamed of my body. Dressing modestly does not mean you want to cover up, to hide from eyes because you are insecure and don't like yourself.

I dress modestly because we are called to save our bodies for our future husband or wife. I dress modestly because I don't want to show myself off to just anyone.

I read a great analogy on another blog: just like you wouldn't use nice china to feed the dogs, so you don't show off the temple God has given you to anyone who wants to look.

Modesty is not a way of showing that you are ashamed of your body; modesty is a way of showing that you value it too much to throw it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment