Tuesday, June 23, 2015

It's Not Just the Guy's Problem (the dress code controversy, part 2)

How many times have you heard the objection, "It's a guy's problem if he can't control his thoughts"?

Probably most of you have heard it many times, especially those of you in public school. With all of the discussion about the dress code lately, this is an objection that often comes up, right up there next to the myth about modesty meaning being ashamed of our bodies.

I talked about that myth several weeks ago, and today I want to discuss this other common objection: "It's the guy's problem!"

What's wrong with this attitude?
Let's revisit something I'm sure I've talked about before on this blog: living a life of service to others. This is what we are called to do as Christians, and it applies in all areas of our lives.

This begins in the heart. A heart that is willing to do things for others even when inconvenienced by them is a heart of service. On the other hand, if your instinctive reaction is, "They can do it themselves" or "that isn't my problem", you aren't going to be living a life of serving others. All of our actions begin in the heart.

Help the guys in your life.
The principle of serving others doesn't suddenly not apply when it comes to dressing modestly.

So that means that if dressing modestly is something we can do to help the guys around us, we should do it, and not grudgingly, either, but cheerfully and with an attitude of service.

Your thoughts should go from "It's the guy's problem" to "It's ultimately up to the guy to control his thought life, but I want to help him in any way I can".

How have you responded to this objection in the past? What other objections to the dress code have you heard before? Tell me in a comment!

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about this topic and how everybody says, "It's the guy's problem!" I love how you put it, and that you point out that dressing modestly is serving others; just what we're supposed to be doing!! :)

    Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this mindset is just another example of how me-focused our culture is. Glad you liked the article!!

      P.S. I love your blog. I think my book list grew several pages longer as I was reading through your archives :)

      Delete